Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dae Han Min Kuk!!!

And Korea WON!!!

Oh my god - I've never seen such a tremendous outpouring of national emotion - it was incredible - an entire country wearing red and going absolutely crazy!! It was a thrill to even be a part of it!

I bought myself a Red Devils tshirt earlier in the evening and a whole bunch of us met up at Club Q at around 8:30. The enthusiasm everywhere was amazing - random people in the elevator at my hotel were thrilled to see me wearing Korean colors even though I was a foreigner, and the streets were just crowded with red. Togo scored first and I started getting a bit worried but the Korean team picked up soon after that and two reasonably quick goals had everyone going totally berserk in the bar. I even went and recorded a sound file on my phone of the cheering and the chants of "Dae Han Min Kuk" (Korean Republic) - the chanting's followed by a rhythmic clapping which is just totally catchy! And once the game ended, the whole of Korea appeared to have turned into one big party - every single car on the street was honking in time with the clapping rhythm, people were just totally overrunning the streets, there were bikers zipping by waving Korean flags, random strangers were running up to exchange high fives with us - I totally loved it! It gives you a high to see so many people so completely euphoric!

I have no voice left, I've cheered so much all evening. The last time I cheered like this was when UT won the National Championship game at the Rose Bowl earlier this year (woo, and what a game that was - one for the ages! Vince Young for President!)

Pics: The group, and me in Korean colors.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.... will read this sm time soon. kind of long.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home